[coreboot] Source code for "Intel Firmware"

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Sat Oct 6 12:30:58 CEST 2018

On 10/6/18 6:50 AM, Zvi Vered wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A bin file burned on a BIOS chip contains "Intel FW":
>
> Intel FW = IFD +PD+ME/TXE+GBE
>
> IFD=Intel Firmware Descriptor Table.
> PD=Parameters
> ME=Management Engine (For "Core" kind of processors).
> TXE=Trusted Execution Engine (For "Atom" kind of processors).
> GBE=Network card firmware.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, this package is not supplied within coreboot.

Right.

> coreboot only replaces the BIOS part developed by vendors like "AMI bios".

Yes, mostly. For some platforms, coreboot also replaces reference code
of the silicon vendor, but today it's mostly just what an IBV like AMI
does.

> Where can I find full source code for "Intel FW" ?

Most of the regions you mentioned above don't contain code at all.
Beside the BIOS, there is ME/TXE code but Intel provides only binaries
for these, AFAIK.

> Currently, in order to replace vendor's BIOS we must take binary parts
> of the original bin file and then stitch it to coreboot.rom built with
> the coreboot project.
>
> I want to depend only on Intel.

That is possible but will require you to dive even deeper in Intel's
platform configuration. I can only advice you to treat each of the
firmware parts individually as much as possible. For instance, first
try to replace the BIOS with coreboot (while keeping the original other
parts), then try to replace the ME/TXE firmware, then the GBE and IFD
(the latter both only contain configuration data, AFAIK).

You will need an NDA with Intel. Then ask them for their binaries, docu-
mentation and (Windows) tools to create your own configuration.

Don't underestimate the effort. You'll probably need some months to get
your own coreboot running, then few more to read through all the docu-
mentation and craft your own IFD etc.

Nico