[coreboot] Further coreboot releases, setting new standards

Zeh, Werner werner.zeh at siemens.com
Fri Nov 30 09:23:24 CET 2018

Hey guys.

I have followed the discussion now for a while in the background. It seems to be the time to step in.

For those of you who do not know me: My name is Werner Zeh and I am working for Siemens AG.
I am an active coreboot developer for a few years now working on x86 systems, most of the time based on chips from Intel.

I can understand the demand to keep the tree well-shaped. And yes, from time to time we need to get rid of old, bad or not at all maintained mainboards and even chipsets.
This need especially becomes more important if a deprecated code path prevents us from moving forward in the tree.
I do not see this demand that urgent if the new features have no hard dependencies on removal of old code.

Speaking of the two chipsets in question in this thread I do not see the real demand of getting rid of them yet.
Why is coreboot not able to move forward if we keep fsp_baytrail and fsp_broadwell_de in the tree?
Sure, we cannot expect to get all the fancy new features in them, but why should these chipsets stop working? What kind of source tree refactoring can hit theses chipsets that hard?

I am (or more precise: my company is), as Jay already pointed out, one of these users of both chipsets. We do have active boards based on Broadwell-DE (mc_bdx1) and Baytrail (mc_tcu3).
And this mainboards will not die that fast, we target our product availability to a range of >10 years as we are in the industry market (sure, we have hard dependencies on the chip availability).

We always have followed the policy of giving back. So every patch I do is reviewed on gerrit and gets merged once it is ready. This is the reason why you can build a working image for them on top of master.
So we do not have a branch we rely on. That will be needed if the chipsets will be dropped in the future. And this will increase my effort on maintenance.

I am completely with you Ron that it is a bad idea of keeping boards in the tree which are not relay tested on hardware for a long time.
And just because of this reason I have a test setup around where every of these boards it tested on real hardware several times a day with the latest master tree.
This setup ensures that the mainboards can boot without issues into the OS. So the argument that the chipsets in question are not tested on real hardware is not valid now.

Don't get me wrong: If there is a need to tailor the code in order to get special features in or just for maintenance I will be glad to help.
We currently are working together with Philipp on measured boot in coreboot where we maintain fsp_broadwell_de and fsp_baytrail. And I think we will continue doing so in the feature.
If we some time should hit the point where a special feature cannot be ported to one of this chipsets because of the boundaries that FSP1.0 dictates I will vote for keeping the chipsets nevertheless in the tree.
In the end this chips are working fine so far and I guess we can keep them working with a small effort. And I am willing to do whatever is needed to keep this chipsets in the tree...in the scope of FSP1.0 boundaries.

@Arthur: Thanks for providing the patches to implement postcar. I will test them on our mainboards next week and provide you the feedback in gerrit.

Werner