[coreboot] Further coreboot releases, setting new standards

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:27:40 CET 2018

I strongly agree with you that no currently-used-boards should be
dropped from coreboot, because even a person who is "just a user"
could become a contributor eventually, and it would have been really
foolish to artificially reduce the userbase/coderbase by "forking out"
the people... However,

> As a pure consulting service, the ports and customizations that we have made to coreboot to support our clients' hardware
> (including the work done for Intel) is turned over to the client at the end of each project to do with as they please. If they choose
> to upstream it or not to coreboot.org is really up to them, and if they do, it would get upstreamed by them, not by us,
> since they then own the code. <--- ???

Almost all the coreboot source code is GPLv2 licensed, not some
commercial closed-source proprietary license, and you will not be
breaking this GPLv2 license by contributing your patches even though
they have been created by the request of your clients. If you are
providing the coreboot consulting to your clients, it is quite likely
that they don't know much about coreboot (at least compared to you)
and would not be able to contribute the patches in the mergeable
quality even if they wanted, so you shouldn't rely on them here.

It would be really nice if you could look through your patches and
contribute at least those which are "not motherboard-specific". If you
would start giving back more than you are currently, there would be
smaller chance of your boards dropped. And your clients should
understand that, although no client's approval is required to
contribute these patches for GPLv2 open source software

Best regards,
Mike Banon