[coreboot] Further coreboot releases, setting new standards

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 25 15:29:25 CET 2018

Dear Jay,

Am Freitag, den 23.11.2018, 19:20 -0700 schrieb Jay Talbott:
> I know I don't post much here, but I feel like I need to chime in on
> this thread... Perhaps it's time that SysPro becomes a louder voice
> in the community.
>
> Bay Trail and Broadwell DE are both still very popular platforms, yet
> neither one of them meets the cut for any of the three criteria. So I
> caution against removing the support for either of them too hastily.

It’d be nice if you gave a little bit more background, what your
company does.

I can’t find any commits from you for example.

    git log --author=sysproc

> Yes, it can be a pain to keep maintaining old platforms, and
> certainly support for platforms that are old enough that they are no
> longer being used by anybody are good candidates for cleanup and
> removal. But support for platforms that are still popular and still
> actively being used by people shouldn't be stripped out of the
> coreboot code base.

How should coreboot upstream know, what is popular or not? So it’s good
that you engage with the community.

On the other hand, you didn’t answer any of the issues raised by
Arthur, that maintaining outdated chipsets and boards puts the burden
on – often freetime – developers.

How can SysPro help here improve the boards and implement the things
Arthur raised? It’d be nice to have SysPro as a more active member of
the coreboot community by contributing code, documentation, or money.

If that is not possible, please answer, what the problem would be for
you to just use the current code from a separate branch.

Kind regards,

Paul

PS: Your mailer doesn’t set the References header field, causing the
threading to be broken.

PPS: Please also at least send a plain text part. A lot of people
prefer to look at that, and it also works better with the mailing list
archive. (I’d even prefer to not get any HTML stuff at all. The Linux
Kernel Mailing List even rejects such messages.)

[1]: https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2018-November/087852.html