[coreboot] Schematics and PCB design for ASMB4 (Was: There are ASMB5's on fleabay right now for $30/ea (firmware storage module required for OpenBMC on the KGPE-D16/KCMA-D8))

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Sat Nov 17 02:50:21 CET 2018

On 11/03/2018 12:32 AM, Daniel Gröber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 12:10:25AM +0100, Angel Pons wrote:
>> Is it me, or is that thing a SPI flash chip on a PCB plus a few
>> transistors? It seems like copying the PCB design is rather doable, or am I
>> missing something?
>
> Indeed, very doable, but tedious work ;)
>
> Here you go:
>
>     https://github.com/DanielG/asmb4
>     https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/jZLoDQ3Y
>
> I had the schematics lying around on paper for a while now but I was
> too lazy to digitize them until now. The design is completely
> untested, I just ordered some boards though so we'll see.
>
> FWIW if anyone is interrested in getting some assembled boards I might
> do a small production run.

Holy crap awesome you are the best dude!

I asked about this awhile ago and I wish you had replied :D

I have boards without it so I would love to buy some if they are priced
lower than the official one - Do you have an estimate?

Might be a way for you to make a bit of extra cash as you could peddle
them to the various core/libreboot D8/D16 sellers plus leah/minifree,
the fsf, raptor (for integricloud x86) etc.

It is still quite important to have these boards as
propriatary-equivilant-functional for applications that don't yet run on
POWER (talos 2/blackbird) and this is a great step considering the D8
and many D16's even new don't come with that chip and they sell for IMO
too much on ebay. (my linky is $30 plus a silly $30 shipping for tiny
chip - so $60)