[coreboot] Kabylake H: SPI Transaction Error at Flash Offset d10000

Jose Trujillo ce.autom at protonmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:56:14 CET 2018

Hello coreboot engineers:

My Kabylake H system "HM175" with coreboot  "bsl6" and "kblrvp" platforms with properly configured I/O failed to save Memory training data to the SPI cache  'RW_MRC_CACHE'.

FMAP: Found "FLASH" version 1.1 at d00000.
FMAP: base = ff000000 size = 1000000 #areas = 4
FMAP: area RW_MRC_CACHE found @ d10000 (65536 bytes)
MRC: Checking cached data update for 'RW_MRC_CACHE'.
SF: Detected FAST_SPI Hardware Sequencer with sector size 0x1000, total 0x100000
MRC: no data in 'RW_MRC_CACHE'
MRC: cache data 'RW_MRC_CACHE' needs update.
SPI Transaction Error at Flash Offset d10000 HSFSTS = 0x01046003
REGF metadata allocation failed: 392 data blocks 4096 total blocks
MRC: Could not find region 'UNIFIED_MRC_CACHE'
FMAP: area RW_MRC_CACHE found @ d10000 (65536 bytes)
MRC: NOT enabling PRR for 'RW_MRC_CACHE'

As a consequence fast boot never works. (fast boot works correctly on my coffeelake system).

Nico helped me to test the system ability to save data to the MRC_CACHE block from linux booting coreboot and I wrote random data to the 'RW_MRC_CACHE' block with the "flashrom" tool succesfully.

Maybe someone that had experience with this issue or have some idea how to fix it can give me advise on how to resolve this problem.

I attached the full log.
Thank you,
Jose Trujillo.