[coreboot] FSP 1.0 Sandy-/Ivybridge removal

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Mon Nov 12 16:38:14 CET 2018

Zaolin <zaolin at das-labor.org> writes:

> Hey coreboot folks,
>
> I want to remove the old Sandy-/Ivybridge FSP 1.0 implementation from
> the tree:
>
> https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/coreboot/+/29402/
>
> We already have an Open Source replacement for it ( under src/{nb,sb} )
> which can replace the legacy FSP integration.

To make this statement more accurate. There are 3 bootpaths for sandy-/ivybridge.

1. Fully open source (including raminit)
2. raminit done by mrc.bin developed by google engineers, with the
mrc.bin in the blob repo, which is for the most part interchangeable
with the fully open source raminit
3. FSP 1.0 bootpath

bootpaths 1 and 2 have 43 boards in the coreboot tree. (based on 'chip
northbridge/intel/sandybridge in devicetree.cb)
The FSP bootpath has 2 boards that are likely not obtainable.

> Does anyone use the FSP stuff or has complains about the current plan?
>

> BR, Zaolin

Given the unpopularity, lack of maintenance, the availability of a much
more popular bootpath and actual hindrance in moving the common codebase
forward (for instance when implementing parallel mp init for i945 till
sandybridge, some code still has to be left in place to keep that fsp
bootpath happy) I fully endorse the removal of this code.