[coreboot] Matrix instead (or additionally to) IRC

Philipp Stanner stanner at posteo.de
Sun Nov 4 21:40:42 CET 2018

Am Sonntag, den 28.10.2018, 15:55 +0100 schrieb Luc Verhaegen:
> Ooh, bait, on a sunday afternoon with nothing better to do. I'll
> bite.
>
> Matrix is not even 4 years old.
>
> IRC has been good around for just over 3 decades. Many here have
> been
> using it for more than 2 already. Yes, 2 decades. 20 years.
>
> Chat/IM protocols come and go, IRC remains.
>
> After this, someone will come along to suggest that we should all
> switch to whatsapp.
>
> Luc Verhaegen.

Hey Luc,
just send me your number and I'm more than happy to open a Whatsapp
group – though IRC is a bit better than WA is ;D

Chat protocols come and go, alright, but the times change.
Do you use Telnet to access your servers? Or is it SSH? IRC is not
encrypted. It does not support message formatting. It doesn't even
specify the text-encoding in the protocol. It may exist for 30 years,
but there is *a lot* to improve.

I think one should be open for new stuff without following every new
upcoming trend. And the choosing of a new system is a evolutionary
process, people try it and if they like it they stay.
Hey, why don't you try Matrix for a few days or weeks? Install a client
of your choice, join the Linux or another channel and look how it
works. You can even follow discussions on your smartphone while
standing in the subway for example.

P.