[coreboot] Schematics and PCB design for ASMB4 (Was: There are ASMB5's on fleabay right now for $30/ea (firmware storage module required for OpenBMC on the KGPE-D16/KCMA-D8))

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Sat Nov 3 19:51:53 CET 2018

On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 01:28:06PM -0500, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> Very nice work!  I too had been intending to work on this at some
> nebulous date in the future, great to see it actually done and boards
> ordered!

I did it as soon as I got a KGPE-D16 which included the module as a
surprise :). I had been trying to get just the module for my KCMA-D8
for a while too.

Since it was unobtainium at the time I figured I'd just do it quickly
so I can copy it for myself. It really just took an afternoon or so to
do the physical probing and component identification.

> Quick question -- how are you handling MAC allocation?  Each module
> comes with the MAC address on a sticker; the mainboard itself doesn't
> have a MAC allocated to the BMC port until the module is installed.

Full disclosure: I haven't actually looked at the software side of the
BMC yet, so I wouldn't mind some pointers to what coreboot patches are
required these days etc.

Generally speaking it's always possible to just allocate "locally
administered" MAC addresses either randomly on first boot-up or by
having the user do it at flash time so it's not really a big deal IMO.

I hadn't intended to pre-flash these modules since it's just another
SPI flash for which coreboot user are likely to already have a
programmer anyways. If enough people are interested in it I could look
into that though.

--Daniel