[coreboot] When does AMD release the fam15 spectre microcode updates?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Tue May 22 07:03:04 CEST 2018

AMD has at long last coughed up the stuff to the linux-firmware people

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/diff/amd-ucode/microcode_amd_fam15h.bin?id=77101513943ef198e2050667c87abf19e6cbb1d8

The fam15h microcode update adds IBPB

  * Indirect Branch Prediction Barrier (IBPB)
    * PRED_CMD MSR is available:  YES
    * CPU indicates IBPB capability:  YES  (IBPB_SUPPORT feature bit)

The question is what about the other stuff? IBRS, STIBP? This is
confusing due to zero documentation on these updates from amd...Why
don't they have those in this update? Would it be possible to easily add
the support flags without microcode for those who use libreboot?

Would it still be a good idea to add the lfence msr as rmarek mentioned?

As this is all above my pay-grade I would very much appreciate one of
the experts to chime in.