[coreboot] FSP 2.0 headers in coreboot

Youness Alaoui kakaroto at kakaroto.homelinux.net
Tue May 22 22:25:58 CEST 2018

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:

> I have to admit, I don't like your patch. While it gets the job done,
> it brings `MemInfoHob.h` and `FspsUpd.h` out of sync, so the state in
> coreboot as a whole would match neither version.

Good point. It is a Frankenstein, but it was either that or have
#ifdefs in the fsp vendorcode itself to determine if attribute X is
available or not, etc..

>> - or abandon my patch (which means I can never send a working
>> board-status for the librems without having a dirty tree or a version
>> commit hash that doesn't match upstream)
>> - or have the possibility to choose between the two (either via
>> #ifdefs or via a variants method).
>
> If we can't get a new, fitting binary out of Intel, I would prefer this,
> or, more bluntly, just copy the GitHub version and revert the changes
> that need the additional UPD.
>
> In other words, whatever happens, I think we should have the headers
> of the latest public release in the tree.

I agree, that's probably the cleanest solution, but I didn't suggest
it because I figured people would be yelling about removing
functionality that might need to be re-added eventually if Intel end
up doing an updated release.

>> - or, if Intel people are reading this right now (or someone here can
>> poke them directly), have the public release updated so this matter
>> can be dropped entirely (the public update would need to be released
>> *very* soon though).
>
> Even if you (Purism) poke them about it, that might help. But I would
> like to see that Google does that too (IMHO, they profit most from the
> mess). Any of you should have more leverage than the customer of a
> customer of a customer of a potential customer of Intel has, that I
> work for ;)
I know no-one at Intel to poke them about. I'll ask if Todd has
contacts that might be able to help. I'm hoping that some of the
people that are working for Intel are following this email thread but
if they are, they haven't raised their hands. Anyone knows or can
suggest the name of someone that we might poke ? I'm guessing those
working for Google who actually received the newer FSP from Intel
might know who to ask, and since they are the ones that would be
affected by their code/features being removed if we revert to github
version of header, it might help put some pressure on this issue (so
far, I haven't seen any incentive to make them do that).

>> Should we put this to a vote now, or should we discuss the
>> possibilities/alternatives some more, if anyone has ideas on how to
>> tackle this specific issue ?
>
> Well, my vote, in order of preference:
>
>  1. Poke Intel.
>  2. Get a verbatim copy of the GitHub headers in (in a way of [least] effort for
>     the community). Maybe in a month from now? no matter the outcome
>     from 1.
>
> Nico

I agree, and I give my 100% vote for that as well. It will be much
better than an #ifdef mess and would be a good incentive for the
people from Intel not saying "no, too much hassle to update the file,
we got nothing to lose anyway if we just ignore this".
So let's see who can poke who from Intel, let's give a deadline (1 or
2 months? if bureaucracy means it will take longer, we might revisit
if we at least got a confirmation that the issue is being looked at on
Intel's side), then once deadline is reached, we revert to public
headers and remove functionality that prevents building (access to
nonexistent fields in UPD) and in the future, reject patches on gerrit
for non public blobs.

Thanks!