[coreboot] FSP 2.0 headers in coreboot

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Fri May 11 03:14:06 CEST 2018

On 11.05.2018 01:32, Aaron Durbin wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Ok, I'll try to break this loop here. You are repeating the great bene-
>> fits for a user (that I agree to) even if a blob is involved. And I keep
>> asking why it should happen on our master branch (I don't see how we
>> would take something away by not maintaining everything. Also, I never
>> tried to exclude all blobs). It seems somehow we talk past each other.
>
> I've been meaning to respond to your original response, but I haven't
> had a lot of time to articulate things. You've brought this up
> numerous times; it sounds like you care what is in the master branch.
> But maybe not any other branches? And what is the threshold for being
> in master branch? And what audience is the master branch for? I'm
> trying to envision what the development and eventual result will be.

As I tried to explain in my other (just sent) mail, I care most about
other developers being able to pick up coreboot and use it for their
boards. And this is something where we can improve a lot regarding the
blob situation, IMO. I just hope, if we had rules that recommend redis-
tributable blobs and push into this direction, one day, somebody new to
the game (i.e. without prior contact to a silicon vendor) could again
just use coreboot.

> You have been focusing on FSP talking about maintaining it, etc, but I
> don't think that maintainership is falling on people
> disproportionately any more than other parts of the tree. I do find it
> a bit ironic that you were te one using FSP for some of your work.

Well, it wasn't my choice. And after many months struggling to get a
single board working, I wouldn't do it again for a new platform. Now
that I know the Sky-/Kaby Lake code another board port would work out.
But if things don't get better, I'd rather start reverse engineering
right away for a new platform. I'm sure that would save us some time on
average if somebody else would use the code, too.

> As for the github fsp proper, the license in the headers is weird, as
> Youness pointed out. But in addition to that, it says IOTG Kabylake H
> as a release. It doesn't say anything beyond that from a support
> standpoint. Empirically it may work, but so does the FSP generated by
> Chrome OS. As I'm sure you know assets can be extracted from recovery
> images for those FSPs. What's the bar for picking one over the other?

Can I use the CrOS FSP for a product? I'm convinced that I can use the
one from GitHub.

> I don't believe either can be submitted into coreboot.org blobs repo?
> Or did I miss where that was concluded?

If it was, I missed that too. AFAIR, I checked that once for the License
on GitHub (and did not see a way).

Nico