[coreboot] How to start GRUB2 in graphic mode as primary payload?

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Sun Mar 25 14:15:29 CEST 2018

Hello Giulio,

On 25.03.2018 12:35, G wrote:
> Hello,
> i'm trying to run GRUB2 in graphic mode as coreboot payload on a
> Thinkpad x220, attached are the relevant coreboot/grub config.

unlike legacy firmware (e.g. BIOS, UEFI) coreboot doesn't have persis-
tent drivers in the background that GRUB could call back to ask to
switch a video mode. So you have to configure coreboot to already start
in a video mode. What you are looking for is

  CONFIG_GENERIC_LINEAR_FRAMEBUFFER

as opposed to the

  CONFIG_VGA_TEXT_FRAMEBUFFER=y

that you have currently selected.

I'm not sure if you have to configure anything in GRUB too, to get the
background image to work. I would guess that it just works, though.

Nico