[coreboot] Minnowboard

Piotr Król piotr.krol at 3mdeb.com
Wed Mar 21 21:49:16 CET 2018

On 03/21/2018 12:47 PM, Daniel Wagner wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Daniel,
thank you for reading 3mdeb blog :)

> I would like to test my -rt kernels releases on the minnowboard.
> Though cyclictest always reports 2 to 4 ms spikes. It looks like
> that the original firmware is stealing those cycles. So my plan was
> to try out coreboot and see if my theory is correct or not.
>
> Now, I am struggling with getting anything working. All my attempts
> to bake a working binary have been completely fruitless. Not a
> single char on the serial port. If I would at least get something
> on the serial port I could find my way through the maze.

MinnowBoard is already integrated. What board are you using ? Is this
MinnowBoard Turbot B ?

We were able successfully build coreboot for that platform. What is
important is flashing only coreboot region without damaging TXE because
that makes platform unbootable.

We even prepared Dockerized environment:

$ docker pull 3mdeb/coreboot-trainings-sdk
$ git clone https://review.coreboot.org/coreboot
$ docker run --rm -it -v $PWD/coreboot:/home/coreboot/coreboot -w \
/home/coreboot/coreboot 3mdeb/coreboot-trainings-sdk /bin/bash
(docker)$ make menuconfig

# select Mainboard vendor (Intel)
# select Mainboard model (Minnow Max)

(docker) $ make -j$(nproc)
(docker) $ cd util/ifdtool && make

Use compiled ifdtool against oryginal firmware that you flashed to the
board:

$ ./util/ifdtool/ifdtool -f layout MNW2MAX1.X64.0097.D01.1709211100.bin

This will give you layout file similar to:
00000000:00000fff fd
00400000:007fffff bios
00001000:003fffff me
00000000:00000fff gbe

Then copy build/coreboot.rom and layout file to your RPi and flash:

(rpi) $ flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=32000 -l \
layout -i bios -w /tmp/coreboot.rom

Our container have default FSP from GitHub which is not the most
recent one. Latest you can obtain only through Intel RDC portal.

Best Regards,
- --
Piotr Król
Embedded Systems Consultant