[coreboot] Debug suspend to RAM on KGPE-D16

Robert Reeves xiinc37 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 17:09:00 CET 2018

Hi all. Last year I built a system with a KGPE-D16, and it does everything
it's supposed to except resume from suspend to RAM. After suspending, when
I press the power button to resume it hangs forever with a black screen.
I've collected some logs which I've attached. The first one is with 4
sticks of Kingston KVR16R11D4/8 which is 8GB DDR3 1600 registered with ECC.
The second log is with 4 sticks of Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4GB DDR3L 1600
desktop memory. With both sets of memory they were installed in the orange
slots near the first CPU. With both logs I booted up to Debian Stretch,
waited a few seconds, suspended, waited a few more seconds, and then tried
to resume. The second log got truncated somehow so it only shows things
after linux was started. A few things I've noticed:

- The Kingston memory seems like it would be similar to KVR16R11D4/16,
which is on the HCL [1]
- Errors I've noticed are common to both logs include "MC4 Machine Check
Exception detected on node X!" followed by "ramstage cache invalid" near
the very end
- The Kingston log shows an additional error "Last reset was caused by
fatal error / sync flood!" which seems to mean some kind of hardware error
related to the Hyper-transports?

I'm using a single used Opteron 6278 which looks to be in good shape with
no damaged caps. My board revision is 1.05 (not on the HCL) and I bought it
brand new from Newegg in April last year. I'm using a Seasonic 860 watt
platinum PSU, and my flash chip is a Winbond W25Q128. I'm not sure what to
look for next. IIRC, my board had no trouble resuming using the Kingston
RAM on vendor firmware.

[1] https://www.coreboot.org/Board:asus/kgpe-d16#RAM_HCL

-  Rob