[coreboot] Coreboot + Depthcharge

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Mar 1 14:36:07 CET 2018

Mark Wylde wrote:
> 1.  Depthcharge is not a payload.  The `payloads/Kconfig` file
> doesn't have an option for Depthcharge.  However if you add it and
> run menuconfig, selecting the new payload, everything works great
> (well apart from issues 2)

coreboot very much intentionally does not limit what can be used as
payload. Any bare metal program can be used as payload.

Thus, Depthcharge indeed *is* a possible payload, it is just not
mentioned in Kconfig.

It was maybe a mistake to offer this automation near the choice of payload,
creating an impression that a few payloads are somehow better than others.

> 2.  Coreboot/Depthcharge can't find a config file for veyron_speedy
> because `payloads/libpayload/configs/config.veyron_speedy` is not
> present.  If I clone `payloads/libpayload/configs/config.veyron`
> then it works perfectly.

It would be good to know why this happens. Is config.veyron used
elsewhere? Is there both a veyron and a veyron_speedy board? Was the
board renamed in coreboot but this file (in libpayload) overlooked?

> I'm almost certain my "fixes" aren't actually fixes, and I'm just
> doing something wrong, if you could correct me I'd be so grateful.

The second part with the board name looks like a bug, but I don't
know what the appropriate fix is. That requires studying coreboot and
libpayload repos a bit before creating a patch.

If you want, you can of course also push a patch to Gerrit to add
Depthcharge to the list of payloads.

//Peter