[coreboot] Porting Kabylake laptop

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Wed Jun 27 17:35:29 CEST 2018

Hi,

On 27.06.2018 13:37, chrisglowaki at tutanota.com wrote:
> 26. Jun 2018 20:02 by rminnich at gmail.com <mailto:rminnich at gmail.com>:
>> For a case like this, where your choice is between two binary blobs (FSP
>> or UEFI) I would argue that linuxboot is a better way to go.

Question is, what is this "case"? Chris, what is your motivation for the
coreboot port?

>> See > github.com/osresearch/heads <http://github.com/osresearch/heads>>
>> or > linuxboot.org <http://linuxboot.org>>  for more info.
>> ron
>
> Doesn't linuxbootalso require the FSP blob for memory and silicon
> initialization on any Intel board after Ivy Bridge?

LinuxBoot is an ambiguous term. What Ron and Philipp suggest here is
taking an existing UEFI, strip it down to something as light as core-
boot and plug the Linux kernel in. If you just want to get rid of the
bloated, often bug haunted, user visible parts of UEFI, this is a
good way to achieve it. If you want more control over the earlier,
lower level parts of the boot process, coreboot is the way to go, IMO.

The convenient trick of UEFI/LinuxBoot is that you don't have to care
about any mainboard specific things, if somebody else already ported
UEFI for your board. And other than the name suggests, you can boot
any other OS*, the Linux in LinuxBoot is just a fancy boot loader.

Nico

* Not sure about the status of Windows support, but it seems doable
  if you keep enough UEFI.