[coreboot] RISC-V HiFive Unleashed board added to coreboot - has PCI-e slots via exp board

Shawn citypw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:55:56 CEST 2018

Hi Ron,

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 12:55 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:03 PM Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:
>>

>> Whats the deal with SMM? What a shame they thought to add it.
>>

> It's a huge disappointment. I made some effort a few years ago to try to
> convince folks this was a bad idea and failed.
>
>  I'm no longer as optimistic as I was about RISC-V. There seems to be a real
> push to be "just like x86".

IIRC, Machine mode in RISC-V is just looking similar to SMM in x86.
But it can do more than what SMM does. It helps to enclave-based
solution. I'm looking forward to see the open solution, e.g: Sanctum,
Keystone, etc to land into production environment.

btw: can't agree w/ you more about we need more open implementation
than Hifive unleashed.

[1] Secure Processors Part I: Background, Taxonomy for Secure Enclaves
and Intel SGX Architecture:
https://people.csail.mit.edu/devadas/pubs/part_1.pdf

[2] Secure Processors Part II: Intel SGX Security Analysis and MIT
Sanctum Architecture:
https://people.csail.mit.edu/devadas/pubs/part_2.pdf

[3] Keystone: https://keystone-enclave.org/

--