[coreboot] RISC-V HiFive Unleashed board added to coreboot - has PCI-e slots via exp board

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Mon Jun 25 01:55:58 CEST 2018

On 06/24/2018 06:41 PM, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> On 06/24/2018 06:35 PM, Nico Huber wrote:

>>> I just want to counter this one point.  POWER9 is absolutely not power
>>> hungry.  I've seen the 8-core chips idle at under 10W, with active loads
>>> maybe in the 40-60W range.  We're dogfooding one machine in a typical
>>> office setting, and it dissipates nearly no heat -- it's using less
>>> power than the older Xeon it replaced.
>>
>> Hmmm, yeah, just twist my words as you wish. I never said that it is
>> power hungry compared to other workstation systems. I did not even state
>> that it is power hungry at all. All I said is that it needs power and
>> somebody has to pay for that too.
>>
>> Now you show off with random numbers that make things really weird. 10W
>> for what? per chip? or per core? Whatever it is, I hope your office has
>> air conditioning. And than that "it's using less power than the older
>> Xeon", omg really? you're system is better than shit?
>>
>> Nico
>

> Did not mean to offend here.  Apparently we have very different ideas of
> "workstation" versus "desktop"; we'd classify some dozens of watts under
> real world load per CPU as a desktop, not as a workstation per se.  I
> don't see how something using this little power would suddenly put the
> power bills out of reach for individual use vs. corporate use, but again
> we may have very different ideas of what a computer should be.
>
> Personally, I would never be able to use something like a Raspberry Pi
> or other low power SBC for anything other than maybe some minimal text
> editing.  It's not worth my time to put up with a slow, unresponsive
> system; whatever I would gain on power bills would be lost through
> unproductive time and then some.
>
> I don't see how providing some real world numbers can be frowned upon here?

So it was pointed out to me on IRC that we don't have current power
numbers published on the Wiki.  That would probably explain the
confusion; subsequent firmware updates have dropped the idle power and
"normal use" power significantly on the POWER9 chips.

I'll see if we can get some new at-wall measurements of our normal
desktop configuration (1 CPU, no SAS, NVMe storage).  This should be
well under 100W at the wall.

--
Timothy Pearson
Raptor Engineering