[coreboot] RISC-V HiFive Unleashed board added to coreboot - has PCI-e slots via exp board

Jonathan Neuschäfer j.neuschaefer at gmx.net
Thu Jun 21 13:48:45 CEST 2018

Hello Taiidan and Timothy,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 01:14:05AM -0500, Timothy Pearson wrote:

> On 06/20/2018 09:13 PM, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> > https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/motherboards-chipsets/1021175-risc-v-sifive-freedom-unleahsed-540-soc-hifive-unleashed-board-added-to-coreboot
> >
> > The board costs almost as much as a significantly faster and with much
> > more features (IOMMU!) TALOS 2 Lite so I think it is not really worth
> > buying right now for someone like me but I am still very curious about it.
> >
> > - Unlike the usual crappy SOC products like this there is an available
> > sexy expansion board which contains not one but two PCI-e slots and
> > various other expansion options including SATA...which all really should
> > have came standard. But unfortunately once you buy all the extras that
> > make it usable you could have bought a very nice T2 setup so this is
> > only for the die-hard hero developers and early adopters. (But I wish I
> > had the cash for both!)

Fully agreed. It's a devboard and the purpose is to help spread RISC-V,
whereas the Talos 2 (Lite) is a usable machine with all the bells and
whistles that you'd expect.

Note that the expansion board[1] is designed around a Microsemi FPGA,
however that influences your freedom rating.

(It should be possible though to implement an expansion board with a
free bitstream: SiFive has published an implementation of ChipLink[2],
and the FMC connector[3] is an industry standard.)

> > My questions:
> >
> > Is it possible to do normal stuff like browse the internet and watch a
> > film via video acceleration if you pop in a decent graphics card?

Yes. The FOSDEM presentation was held on a HiFive Unleashed with an
external graphics card.

> > Are there absolutely no binary blobs? Not even for the NIC?

It's a Cadence GEMGXL (aka. MACB) integrated into the SoC, plus an
external PHY. No idea.

> > It is difficult to find NIC ASIC's that don't have blobs and with RISCV's
> > unfortunate lack of an IOMMU this is a very big security issue for
> > RISCV. At least with the TALOS 2 there is POWER-IOMMU to isolate it from
> > doing anything evil and various people are working on a libre
> > replacement which will benefit the entire libre community and anyone
> > that likes cheap+good nics.

I'm sure IOMMUs will come to RISC-V as well.

> > Whats the deal with SMM? What a shame they thought to add it.

Yes, unfortunately runtime-resident code in a mode similar to SMM is a
platform requirement, and Linux relies on it. (The interface that Linux
expects is called the SBI / Supervisor Binary Interface.)

> > I really hope this succeeds and that they eventually add an IOMMU.
> >

> Their bootloader is a blob in ROM, for what it's worth.  They also will
> not release source for it [1].  I haven't looked further since that
> alone is a dealbreaker for an "open" / auditable chip.

Let me add a bit of detail here:

The original boot chain on the SiFive FU540 looks like this:

  MSEL (ROM0) -> ZSBL (ROM1) -> FSBL (SPI) -> bbl (SPI/SD) -> Linux

Where the individual pieces mean this:

MSEL: The "Mode select" ROM, consisting of a register that represents
      the state of four pins on the chip, and six instructions, which
      jump to the selected boot device or ZSBL.
      Fully documented (with an instruction listing) in the manual.

ZSBL: The "Zeroth stage bootloader", several kilobytes of code in ROM,
      which parses a GPT header on SPI flash or an SD card and loads the
      next stage.
      Short, high-level documentation in the manual; I haven't seen the
      source code.

FSBL: The "First stage bootloader", where interesting things like RAM
      init happen.
      High-level documentation in the manual; I haven't seen the source
      code.

BBL:  The "Berkeley bootloader". Its most important role, as far as I
      understand it, is to implement the SBI.
      The source code is public.

See also chapter 6 (Boot process) of the FU540-C000 Manual[4].

With the unfinished coreboot port, I want it to look like this (although
*a lot* of work has to be done on coreboot first, and I'm currently not
actively working on that, for a few months):

  MSEL (ROM0) -> ZSBL (ROM1) -> coreboot (+bbl?) -> Linux,  or
  MSEL (ROM0) -> coreboot (+bbl?) -> Linux

ZSBL can be skipped, so you don't need to run closed source ROM code, at
least as far as the hardware is concerned.

(And note that this is just the situation on this particular SoC. Other
SoCs from SiFive or other vendors may boot differently.)

Greetings,
Jonathan Neuschäfer

[1]: https://www.crowdsupply.com/microsemi/hifive-unleashed-expansion-board
[2]: https://github.com/sifive/sifive-blocks/tree/c340d7ade16a9bea307685c54a13d830fa90bc3b/src/main/scala/devices/chiplink