[coreboot] RISC-V HiFive Unleashed board added to coreboot - has PCI-e slots via exp board

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Thu Jun 21 04:13:49 CEST 2018

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/motherboards-chipsets/1021175-risc-v-sifive-freedom-unleahsed-540-soc-hifive-unleashed-board-added-to-coreboot

The board costs almost as much as a significantly faster and with much
more features (IOMMU!) TALOS 2 Lite so I think it is not really worth
buying right now for someone like me but I am still very curious about it.

- Unlike the usual crappy SOC products like this there is an available
sexy expansion board which contains not one but two PCI-e slots and
various other expansion options including SATA...which all really should
have came standard. But unfortunately once you buy all the extras that
make it usable you could have bought a very nice T2 setup so this is
only for the die-hard hero developers and early adopters. (But I wish I
had the cash for both!)

My questions:

Is it possible to do normal stuff like browse the internet and watch a
film via video acceleration if you pop in a decent graphics card?

Are there absolutely no binary blobs? Not even for the NIC? It is
difficult to find NIC ASIC's that don't have blobs and with RISCV's
unfortunate lack of an IOMMU this is a very big security issue for
RISCV. At least with the TALOS 2 there is POWER-IOMMU to isolate it from
doing anything evil and various people are working on a libre
replacement which will benefit the entire libre community and anyone
that likes cheap+good nics.

Whats the deal with SMM? What a shame they thought to add it.

I really hope this succeeds and that they eventually add an IOMMU.