[coreboot] wiki backup

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Fri Jun 15 07:50:13 CEST 2018

On 06/14/2018 08:41 PM, Martin Roth wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:35 PM Leah Rowe <info at gluglug.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 14/06/18 19:01, Martin Roth wrote:
>
>>> * The wiki requires a separate login from everything else, which
>>> has to be created manually.
>> Not only that, but it wasn't clear how to get an account in the first
>> place>
> I guess I didn't realize that it was a problem.  If you clicked 'log
> in' in the top of the wiki, it told you who to email along with their
> addresses.

Yeah it was quite clear to me how to get an account when I first wanted
to contribute and it only took a few days to get approved despite the
fact that I am certainly not a member of the coreboot elite xD

> "If you don't have an account and wish to contribute contact Stefan
> Reinauer or Patrick Georgi and tell them what exactly you want to
> contribute."
> https://web.archive.org/web/20151031111952/http://www.coreboot.org:80/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Welcome+to+coreboot

I must say that Mr. georgi was quite welcoming in granting me an account
as a new user - and I have repaid that with a many helpful edits and
created pages.

>> By the way, what do you think of the idea I floated in a previous
>> message? My idea is to have some kind of web interface where a
>> non-technical user who doesn't know how to use git can browse the
>> documentation on the website and click "edit", which will take them to
>> the appropriate markdown file in the repository. When they're done,
>> they give their edit a title and description, which becomes the commit
>> message, and their contribution gets sent to code review (Gerrit).
>>
>> How feasible do you think this would be?
>> It would give some of the ease of use of MediaWiki as before, while
>> still having all of the advantages that you listed.
>
> I have no issue with that if someone wanted to work on it.  It might
> still cause some difficulties because those people probably wouldn't
> be able to respond to requests for updates in gerrit

An email could be automatically sent to them for that, and then replying
to it could automatically create a reply on gerrit.

> and they
> wouldn't necessarily follow the rest of the rules we have for
> submitting to coreboot, but maybe those issues could be worked out.
> Maybe a documentation administrator could shepherd the patches the
> rest of the way through the process.>
> As far as feasibility, I'm sure it could be done, it would just take
> someone committed to making it happen.

This would be quite nice in terms of usability and I very much hope
someone makes it.

Also can someone answer: I presume that editing the wiki it requires my
"real" name as it is on git?