[coreboot] [RFH] Native AMD fam10-15 support

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Fri Jun 15 07:17:24 CEST 2018

On 06/14/2018 02:45 AM, Kyösti Mälkki wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 7:23 AM, Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 06/13/2018 04:12 PM, Kyösti Mälkki wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Now that we wiped out K8, I'd like to put my eyes on fam10-15 boards.
>> What exactly do you mean by wiped out?
>>

>>> Couple questions for board owners:
>>>
>>> First, about asus/kcma-d8 and asus/kgpe-d16: Do these have working S3
>>> support? I remember rumours they originally worked at some point, but
>>> regressed during the rebase / upstream process. Anyone willing to
>>> bisect/fix it if necessary?
>>>

>> I have a D16 with v4.6 that I regularly use suspend with and it works
>> absolutely fine - I can also suspend a host featuring a guest with IOMMU
>> graphics and then resume that host later on and continue playing video
>> games on the guest.
>
> So you are committed to bisect this and make it work on current
> master, thank you.

Yes I am, like I said this worked quite recently so I doubt it will be
that difficult to fix although I will have to have someone else publish
whatever I find. I own both of these and value them quite a bit so I
will be putting efforts in to this - In reference to my previous offer
to support the H8SCM I abandoned that effort as it went from $30 used to
over $200 and I didn't see the point after that (as one should just get
a KCMA-D8 or KGPE-D16 at that point)

The D8 and D16 are the last and best owner controlled x86 boards the
only coreboot boards left with 100% open source hardware initiation.

Like I have said before at this rate there will be no boards in master
besides *brand new* purism laptops and un-obtainable development boards
where half the features don't work anyway - I fail to see how that makes
for a healthy project if no one (again remember I have said you do quite
a bit already) is willing to support the two boards that I would argue
are the best examples of coreboot and modern computing freedom efforts.

>> I again state my for-some-reason controversial opinion that at this rate
>> there will soon be no non-development boards in coreboot due to the
>> choices of the current leadership in determining standards.
>
> I hear you and weigh your opinion according to the number of commits I
> can recognize you have authored on the repo.

I didn't mean it like that man - you have done quite a bit for computing
freedom and I have recognized that on various occasions.

As I am unwilling to provide my "real" name I am not allowed to
contribute code so I help in other ways - I have spent countless hours
assisting many many people with recommending boards to purchase and then
getting coreboot running on them.

Contributing code isn't the only measure of worth, every project needs
people to provide tech support and documentation and I do just that.

I do feel as though lately there has been a turn for elitism where
anyone who doesn't contribute code is discounted and made to feel
unwelcome as if our opinion doesn't really matter and I do not like
this...but again I say you are one of my favorites.