[coreboot] [off topic] Opteron CPU missing chips on the bottom

Daniel Kulesz daniel.ina1 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 31 19:57:18 CET 2018

Hi Taiidan,

> I purchased a used g34 opteron off of fleabay (sold as working with no
> mention of this) and I noticed that it is missing some of the bits on
> the bottom and that most of them are crooked, I haven't tried it in my
> system yet and I am wondering should return it? or if there isn't any
> much risk of it damaging my (expensive kgpe-d16) motherboard and I
> should see if it works?
> I got it for half the usual price....guess I should have asked for photos.
>
> I noticed many CPU's sold on ebay have this issue (in those cases they
> mentioned it) but I can't understand how it happens, for instance I
> noticed a 6386 for sale where they mentioned that it was missing a few
> and because of that it doesn't work in a dual socket configuration.

I have a few Opterons which have this issue and it seems to pretty common. I assume that some "expert" put the CPU on a table before mounting it, and they move it one the table - can't imaging how people manage to chop off the chips otherwise. While some of these damaged CPUs seem to work just fine, I had several which do not recognize more than 1-2 pcs of memory and, thus, would not recommend buying one of these.

Cheers, Daniel