[coreboot] Server systems shipped with coreboot

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu Jan 18 19:37:07 CET 2018

Hi Carl-Daniel,

On 16.01.2018 19:29, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> At 34C3 I was told by someone that a major vendor has been shipping
> servers with coreboot without announcing this, and I unfortunately
> neither remember the server model nor who told me about this. If said
> person could remind contact me, I'd be thankful.

it wasn't me. Though I remember somewhere around December somebody
reported DMI information on IRC from a cloud server running on an ADI
something from Adlink, likely some microserver. Also, not sure if
related, there where some questions from Dell employees on the ML last
year.

Generally, you can expect microservers with coreboot nowadays (anything
supported by Intel's IoT group). But no fully fledged powerful server
(which is still 100% unsupported by Intel). So if you are looking for
the latter, your options are (as mentioned before) stale AMD systems,
OpenPower (not coreboot but open), modern Intel (maybe AMD too?) servers
shipping with UEFI that you can reduce (NERF, not open but best boot
experience you can get with proprietary firmware (beside coreboot+blobs)
I guess).

If you are looking for microservers, I'd go around and ask. Starting
with Adlink.

Nico