[coreboot] [Lenovo G505S] KB9012 EC controller patches for the latest flashrom

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 00:45:12 CET 2018

Hi Nico and Paul, and Lenovo G505S owners/developers,

I have ported the patches by Paul Kocialkowski to the latest flashrom
sources of master branch (earlier there were incompatibilities) --
making it possible to flash KB9012 EC controller [found in Lenovo
G505S AMD coreboot-supported laptop (no AMD PSP backdoor!)] with the
latest flashrom. Probed/read/erased/flashed/verified a few times,
looks like its working perfectly :)

Also, thanks to [v4,5/6] patch, now KB9012 is "hidden" and will never
be probed for, unless explicitly specified by its chip name: -c
"KB9012 (EDI)" or --chip "KB9012 (EDI)" . That should help to avoid
the problems with other chips

[v4,5/6] Add the hidden-from-probing chips category and make KB9012 hidden

There are some chips like ENE KB9012, probing for which
could cause the other chips to misbehave. Therefore, such chips
should be "hidden" - not probed for unless the user wants

This commit introduces a new field to the "flashchip" structure:

int hidden;

Now it is possible to "hide" any chip by adding this line

 .hidden        = 1,

to the "struct flashchip flashchips[]" structure of a chip, like

 .write         = edi_chip_write,
 .read          = edi_chip_read,
 .voltage       = {2700, 3600},
 .hidden        = 1,
 },

flashrom will probe for a chip only if one of these conditions is true:
1) no chip has been specified AND this chip is not "hidden"
2) this chip has been specified by -c | --chip <chipname>

All the patches could be reviewed by these links below, and it is
possible to merge them sequentially: [v4,1/6] --> [v4,2/6] -->
[v4,3/6] --> [v4,4/6] --> [v4,5/6] --> [v4,6/6]

https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/flashrom/+/23258 [v4,1/6] Add support
for selecting the erased bit value with a flag
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/flashrom/+/23259 [v4,2/6] ENE Embedded
Debug Interface EDI and ENE KB9012 EC flashing support
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/flashrom/+/23260 [v4,3/6] ENE EDI -
add dummy read to ensure proper detection of ENE chips
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/flashrom/+/23261 [v4,4/6] ENE EDI -
print debug info like others while probing for ENE chips
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/flashrom/+/23262 [v4,5/6] Add the
hidden-from-probing chips category and make KB9012 hidden
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/flashrom/+/23263 [v4,6/6] Add support
for reading the current flash contents from a file

Cheers,
Mike