[coreboot] G505s gfx init (was Re: Microcode updates for slightly older intel CPU's re: meltdown/spectre)

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Fri Jan 12 17:06:08 CET 2018

On 12.01.2018 15:06, Mike Banon wrote:
> Maybe I am very wrong here, but I just looked at this AtomBIOS disassembly
> https://pastebin.com/raw/Q35JMU1b
> and there are functions like "MemoryControllerInit / AdjustDisplayPll
> / AdjustMemoryController ", as well as data blocks like LVDS_Info

As I told you, I'm not interested in disassembly.

> Could you please tell if it at least appears to be somehow useful for
> the OSS implementation?

Yes, it is extremely useful. I can tell that without even looking at it.
Reading another program is always helpful if you want to write your own
code for something similar.

The question is rather, is it 10% as helpful as proper documentation?
maybe it is. 20%? 30%? *shrug* Please don't dig into disassembly. Please
don't ask anybody to release their code. Ask for documentation.

> By the way, Damien Zammit wrote me that Alex (aka mrnuke) already did
> 95% of open source VGA init for G505S hardware:
>
> https://www.coreboot.org/Board:hp/pavilion_m6_1035dx#Native_graphics_init
> ( ARUBA is GPU family to which A10-5750M 's HD 8650G belongs)
>
> Wonder what are the remaining 5% ;-)

Well, in about every software project the first 80% of an implementation
take the first 20% of the time. I'd guess the remaining 5% are the har-
dest part. And I'd only encourage somebody to look into it if it looks
like the work is reusable on other systems.

Nico