[coreboot] Microcode updates for slightly older intel CPU's re: meltdown/spectre

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Thu Jan 11 23:22:48 CET 2018

On 01/11/2018 05:05 AM, Nico Huber wrote:

> you seem to be misinformed about the G505s. There is no open-source gfx
> init for AMD (not in firmware, not in the OS), so within your require-
> ments it's not usable as a laptop.
I forgot to include my usual suffix mentioning that blobs are required
for video (and power management)

I believe it is still much better than the C2D laptops in terms of
security despite the video blob as it has an IOMMU [1] and no ME/PSP.
[1] with the high end quad core CPU option
>> (as the previous C2D/C2Q's
>> such as the X200 are now permanently insecure without intervention from
>> intel apparently)
> It depends on the software you run. Please read more about Meltdown and
> Spectre. When you understood it, you can still start to worry.
>
>> At this point even a massive performance loss is better than having to
>> throw out so much now-useless hardware.
> Yes? and that can be accomplished without microcode updates, AFAIK.
I was and still am under the impression that fixing both issue classes
requires microcode updates, can you link to a better explanation?