[coreboot] 16 GPUs on one board

Adam Talbot ajtalbot1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 05:51:47 CET 2018

Yep, I am another crypto currencies miner.  But in all truth, I find the
hardware challenge more fun then the bitcoin stuff.

Power is not the issue (any more).  I have 2Kw worth of PSU. 2X HP Common
slot 750W PSU + Thermaltake 500W PSU.  Currently, with all 8 cards running
full tilt, across two motherboards, and I am drawing 960~1000W.  Those
numbers are according to a Kill-A-Watt meter.

Hardware wise, this is all x86_64.

Arthur: Thanks for the details.  I have a board that with give me a
"missing memory"  beep code with more then 6 GPUs.  Now I understand why!

How can I track down how much system DRAM a GPU is using?  These are all
the newest Nvidia Pascal based cards.  Mostly GTX 1070's.

On an interesting note, one of my oldest motherboards, a
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 will boot with all 8 cards, but gives me the no VGA
beep code.  Serial console for the win!

Is this just a BIOS level issue?  Or is there some hardware component I
should be aware of?

Thanks for the help.
-Adam