[coreboot] 16 GPUs on one board

Adam Talbot ajtalbot1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 20:38:32 CET 2018

-Coreboot
I am totally off the deep end and don't know where else to turn for
help/advice.  I am trying to get 16 GPU's on one motherboard. Whenever I
attach more then 3~5 GPU's to a single motherboard, it fails to post.  To
make matters worse, my post code reader(s) don't seem to give me any good
error codes.  Or at least nothing I can go on.

I am using PLX PEX8614 chips (PCIe 12X switch) to take 4 lanes and pass
them to 8 GPU's, 1 lane per GPU. Bandwidth is not an issues as all my code
runs native on the GPUs. Depending on the motherboard, I can get up to 5
GPU's to post.  After many hours of debugging, googling, and trouble
shooting, I am out of ideas.

At this point I have no clue. I think there is a hardware, and a BIOS
component? Can you help me understand the post process and where the hang
up is occurring?  Do you think Coreboot will get around this hangup and, if
so, can you advise a motherboard for me to test with?

Its been a long time sense I last compiled linuxbios. ;-)

Thanks
-Adam