[coreboot] [off topic] Opteron CPU missing chips on the bottom

Duncan dguthrie at posteo.net
Tue Feb 20 18:50:00 CET 2018

Hi,

Taiidan at gmx.com:
> On 01/31/2018 02:16 PM, Timothy Pearson wrote:

>> Since you've mentioned the remaining lands are also misaligned, I'd
>> throw that CPU away.  You currently risk burning out the multiphase
>> regulator and/or attached peripherals (RAM, PCIe), depending on if the
>> lands are now misaligned enough to put voltages where they don't belong.
>>
>> Those lands are very robust; the only way I can think of to chip off one
>> or two would be putting the CPU land-side up and dropping something on
>> it.  For more extensive damage, it's possible the CPU was repeatedly
>> overheated at some point in the past as well.
> The expert has spoken!
> Thanks for the advice all.
>
> I will add a section to the wiki about insisting on a bottom photo for
> used G34 CPU's.

Should be noted a number of the 62xx series CPUs appear to have two
capacitors missing, and I've never seen one without these missing - e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Opteron-OS6344WKTCGHK-12-Core-Server-CPU-2-6GHz-Socket-G34-115W-Lot-of-2/122838000876?epid=131636979&hash=item1c99b724ec:g:yb0AAOSwU4FaIPU8

Not sure what to think in this case, given the rest of the capacitors
appear entirely intact.