[coreboot] ENE KB3940Q-A1 embedded controller custom firmware

Youness Alaoui kakaroto at kakaroto.homelinux.net
Fri Feb 16 20:09:01 CET 2018

>> Sure, you can trust hardware flashing more than software flashing,
>> but
>> I really need software flashing. If it was just for me, yeah, I could
>> fiddle with it to flash it by hardware for my personal needs, but
>> when
>> it's about deploying it to all our customer base, that's another
>> story, the only solution is software flashing. Obviously, it would
>> have to work in coreboot, so whatever coreboot is doing wrong (or AMI
>> is doing right.. my guess is that it's probably something with the EC
>> ACPI code), we'd have to figure that out first in order to get the
>> read/write support.
>
> Either way, since the EC firmware resides in the SPI flash, it'll be no
> issue to reflash it both by software and hardware.

On the librems, the EC firmware resides in a separate 64KB SPI flash,
it's not shared with the bios, and I haven't found a way to access it.
The 'ectool' is able to read it (ram idx reads if i remember
correctly) but it only worked with AMI BIOS. So there will definitely
be some work to be done there. You probably know a lot more about this
already, like what this 'ram idx' is, and why it didn't work in
coreboot, or if it's possible to read/write the flash using this EDI
interface, etc...

>> > Latest status update for Origami-EC firmware:
>> > https://www.mail-archive.com/coreboot@coreboot.org/msg50646.html
>>
>> Thanks! Good to see the status update on that.
>
> In order to kickstart the development of the Origami-EC firmware, I am
> designing evaluation boards for both the KB9012 and the KB3930 that
> will expose most of the I/O ports with headers, LEDs, buttons,
> connectors, etc. The design is done with KiCAD and will be released
> under the GPLv3+ as part of the Origami-EC project. I am also preparing
> a debug board to reflash the EC on the G505s from the keyboard
> connector.
>
> There is also ongoing work on the emulator and the SerialICE-like
> library for relatying and tracing I/O on the device via UART. Also,
> note that the emulator can now emulate a virtual console so it's
> already possible to build and interract with the firmware!

That's some really great news. A dev board will definitely be useful
for testing/debugging/developing Origami-EC!