[coreboot] Are multiple GPUs with lots of memory (ex: 8GB+8GB) supported in coreboot?

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Sat Feb 10 19:57:18 CET 2018

"Taiidan at gmx.com" <Taiidan at gmx.com> writes:

> I would like to add this information to the wiki so I am wondering if
> anyone has successfully used for instance dual 8GB graphics cards with
> coreboot.

I don't think that this gpu memory is mapped into the linear memory
space. Such a GPU will typically have a PCI memory resource BAR that is
(only) 256M large (could be 512M or more these days).

> I am not sure if this would be an issue due to coreboot only having
> 32bit MMIO space.

It depends a bit on how things are configured but with a fairly common
2G mmio space below 4G I think it is unlikely for 2 external GPU's to be
an issue.

It would of course be nice to have 64bit BAR support but that would
require substantial changes in the allocator and more importantly a lot
of time spend in a sane and thoughtful design...