[coreboot] ENE KB3940Q-A1 embedded controller custom firmware

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 10:41:28 CET 2018

Thank you very much for telling about EC-1.75 project!
http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/rsmith/ec-1.75/tree/?h=3930-A1
Maybe some of its' elements could be borrowed for Origami
if the hardware is similar? (haven't compared the datasheets)

@ Youness and Marty :

Proprietary firmware of KB9012 explicitly disables EDI - ENE Debug Interface
(the protocol used to access the internal memory of KB9012) unless pin
42 is grounded
_before_ powering the KB9012 controller ! Maybe its the same with your
another KB ?
If you ground that pin (not necessarily 42, your KB's pin number could
be different)
to put your EC into debug mode, maybe then you could successfully
read/write it ?

Here is the full description of my successful KB9012 hardware flashing setup
through the keyboard port using a flex cable with soldered wires: 0.5mm pitch
makes it hard to solder directly to keyboard port, and also I like
flex cable solution
because its much faster to remove/insert a cable than to
solder/desolder the wires

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Flashing_KB9012_with_Bus_Pirate

^^^ Had to unite three grounds ( programmer's, mainboard's and KB9012's 42 pin )
to make it work

Currently we are actively working on the inclusion of KB9012 flashing support
to the official flashrom - but its already possible via the unofficial patches.
Changes 23258 - 23263 at the https://review.coreboot.org/#/q/project:flashrom

I haven't compared the datasheets of KB9012 and your KB, so I don't know
if they are using exactly the same debug interface or it is slightly different
(please check if there are differences, maybe you'll have to write some code)

I trust hardware flashing more than the software, especially your
current AMI BIOS setup
which isn't free software. Maybe the direct hardware flashing is also
possible for you

Latest status update for Origami-EC firmware:
https://www.mail-archive.com/coreboot@coreboot.org/msg50646.html

Best regards,
Mike Banon