[coreboot] ThinkPad W520 support

Nico Rikken nico at nicorikken.eu
Tue Feb 6 08:14:45 CET 2018

On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 00:20 +0300, Evgeny wrote:
> This is really great news, thank you!

I got some remarks on my initial patch, so I'll be expanding on that.
You get a running system as it stands, but without working USB3.0 ports
and the VGA-port is not working. But I intend to work out these details
in the upcoming months. I've adopted it as my daily machine, so these
remaining issues will nag me repeatedly :D

> Do you have any plans to support W530? I would be happy to help in any
> way I can. I have the W530, the flashing hardware and (I think) the
> debugging hardware (just need to figure out how to turn my Raspberry Pi
> into EHCI debug dongle).

Perhaps in the future. For now I'm satisfied with my W520. But as the
boards are pretty similar, I suggest you to first try the T530 firmware
and see if you can get it working with just 2 RAM-slots. Than add the
other 2 RAM-slots like I did in my patch. And than work out the
remaining details like ports and stuff. If you have a firmware backup,
you can always return to that point.

If I understand correctly you'd best use a Beaglebone Black or a
combination or FTDI/RS232-board for EHCI-debugging. I didn't see the
RaspberryPi listed anywhere. But then again, my EHCI-debugging setup
(FTDI-based) is still underway, but the patch was straightforward
enough to try it without that ability. So I suggest to just give it a
go.

If you don't feel like making a patch, just dump the progress on the
mailinglist. The previous work of Charlotte Plusplus, which didn't
result in a proper patched, helped me a great deal regardless.

Kind regards,
Nico Rikken