[coreboot] Dell R610 Support

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Wed Dec 19 22:10:18 CET 2018

On 12/17/2018 10:43 PM, Ed Hau wrote:
> Thanks for all the great info once again!

Yah thanks! tech support is my job on the coreboot ML to free up time
for the devs let me know if you need any more information or help.

What you need:
* Flashing device like USB CH341A (less than $10 from fleabay) this
board uses a SPI DIP8 chip make sure it is oriented properly or you
could damage it (there is a little reference graphic on the CH341A to
show you also take a decent photo of the board in case you forget what
direction to put it back in)

Porting:
Start with the KCMA-D8 board codebase, the differences is that the D12
has another PCI-e slot, different amounts of lanes per PCI-e slot, less
PCI slots and more RAM slots so you will need to change the PCI-e
configuration to get the board to boot and then add the RAM slots in the
board code it should be a very easy job probably only a few hours.

You can also play video games on the board too in a VM via IOMMU-GFX and
an attached graphics card if you get bored xD - the 4280s you got are
not as good as the 4386 but you should be able to play new games at
decent settings moreso if you use my suggested virt setup with RAM on
node 0 and cores 0,1,6,7,8,9,14,15 with all but core 15 in the isolcpus
kernel command line list along with nohz=on thus getting you 8 cores at
the Turbo 2 speeds of 3.5ghz and if the VM is configured properly there
is no latency issue from inter-node traffic.

Info:
The 42xx bulldozer CPU's appear to not require microcode updates but I
suggest applying them so you receive the spectre fixes whereas the 43xx
or any piledriver cpu absolutely requires microcode updates due to a
critical security exploit.

> Just wanted to follow up and
> say I put
> the order in and it's on the way now. I was unable to find the ASMB4 or
> 5 though

I see a listing for the ASMB5-iKVM on fleabay right now from the UK
$31.58+shipping.

> so ended up getting an ASMB6 for now that I'll look into adding OpenBMC
> support
Oh no D:

Like I said you have to get the ASMB4 or ASMB5 - the ASMB6 is much
different and won't work.