[coreboot] Asus KGPE-D16 with latest coreboot errors with Unsupported Hardware on Qubes 4 install missing IOMMU?

Felix Held felix-coreboot at felixheld.de
Mon Dec 3 11:35:33 CET 2018

Hi!

> No idea why combined mode is the default, it's only useful for OSes from
> the '90s. It's not about the type of drives (SATA vs PATA) connected but
> how the SATA controller identifies itself to the OS.

I agree that the combined mode isn't the best default, but I can't say
that it's totally useless. In combined mode you have the first 4(?) SATA
ports connected to an AHCI controller and the last 2(?) to a legacy
IDE/ATA controller. I had some SATA->PATA bridge to connect a PATA
device to a mainboard and the adapter I had only worked on SATA ports
that were connected to a legacy IDE/ATA controller, but not on SATA
ports connected to an AHCI controller. I didn't further debug that issue
though, so I can't say why it didn't work on an AHCI controller.

Speaking of the KGPE-D16: I still have this patch [0] in my review queue
that is needed for coreboot to work on the board when the BMC firmware
flash is installed, but it seems that neither Timothy nor owners of that
board really care about that patch any more (I poked a few people about
that patch a few times), which I find quite sad. Would be good if
someone would address the last 3 comments and actually tests the patch
on the real hardware, so it can be merged to fix that show-stopper.

Regards

Felix

[0] https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/19820