[coreboot] T450S + Coreboot

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Tue Aug 28 23:24:58 CEST 2018

*sigh*,

On 28.08.2018 22:00, Mike Banon wrote:
> You are right, my choice of words has been far from ideal. I apologize
> for that. However, to be confident that Intel ME is a backdoor
> (personal opinion) - one does not have to be its' creator.

sorry I meant the creator of us (God) not the ME. I doubt the creator
of the ME knows everybody's opinion either. Which is what I was talking
about. A good practice is to quote and answer below that quote, this way
you can easily check if what you write makes sense in the given context.

> I think
> there are enough documents describing its' functionality and enough
> evidence gathered by the independent security researchers about the
> suspicious activities of this hardware module. If it looks like a
> duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a
> duck?

WTF again? what suspicious activities? I know, for many people the ME
firmware contains unwanted features. But these features are documented.
In your world, a device becomes backdoored because somebody didn't read
the manual?!?

> There are no technical differences between the 'backdoor', and
> 'frontdoor'.

Please read [1] and [2] very carefully, I hope even you will spot tech-
nical differences.

> Like a 'conspiracy theorist', 'frontdoor' is a term
> coming from the american 3-letter-agencies. 'Frontdoor' is their term
> for a 'backdoor' to which only they (currently) have an access. This
> article summarizes it well:
> https://www.justsecurity.org/16503/security-front-doors-vs-back-doors-distinction-difference/
> . 'Backdoor' term has a negative reputation, so they would like to
> push this 'frontdoor' term forward.

This is very infantile. You cannot just take somebody's words and give
them a different meaning just because somebody else used them in a dif-
ferent context. When I say frontdoor, I mean a door at a front where
everyone can see it. A backdoor implies something hidden, the ME fea-
tures were never hidden (AFAIK, a stupid OEM may prove me wrong, but I
don't know any instance).

You did it again, btw., stating something (definition of frontdoor) and
making it look like the generally accepted definition.

Nico

[1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/back_door
[2] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/front_door