[coreboot] T450S + Coreboot

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:56:04 CEST 2018

Hi Nico,

Although it can't be denied that I'm a bit biased here (since I own
that G505S), I'm less critical towards G505S blobs partially because
some of these blobs are indeed completely optional (e.g. xHCI - never
used it; microcode - is optional if you don't need a stable low level
Xen HVM virtualization) while others have been studied very well - to
a point where the almost working opensource replacements of them have
been created. For example, AtomBIOS -
https://github.com/alterapraxisptyltd/openatom , also it could be
disassembled quite well with AtomDis -
https://github.com/mikebdp2/AtomDis - reducing any security concerns
regarding this blob to a minimum.

Also there aren't any blobs which are locked down and could not be
replaced completely, so currently that seems to be the most powerful
laptop which has some chance to be FSF RYF'ed eventually. Meanwhile,
as far as I know its impossible to completely replace ME, only to trim
its' firmware as much as possible and hope for the best that it
doesn't have some undocumented "backdoor restore" mechanism that could
restore the original uncut blob under some conditions. Undoubtedly,
Intel ME is a backdoor, e.g. because it contains some antitheft
features which could be used to control your computer remotely: shut
it down, wipe or retrieve data from it, etc

Mike