[coreboot] asrock-B75-pro3-m

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu Apr 19 10:49:07 CEST 2018

Hi,

your message was weird, I added some quotes back in. Somehow you dropped
them and then asked for context?

On 18.04.2018 06:06, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> On 04/17/2018 06:11 PM, Nico Huber wrote:

>>> You would be better off time and money wise by just buying a board that
>>> already supports what you want - porting takes months for an expert
>>> firmware programmer or tens of thousands to pay someone else to do it.
>>
>> even if the board wasn't supported yet: Thanks to the complete open-
>> source code for Sandy/Ivy Bridge and best coreboot code quality, it
>> usually takes about 1 day for a lucky expert to port one of these
>> boards. 1 or 2 weeks for an unlucky one.
> Do you mean an expert as in someone who is a decent programmer without
> coreboot experience (ex: type of person that asks if board X is
> supported) or an expert as in someone like timothy pearson or kyosti
> malkki firmware extraordinaires?

I meant an expert firmware programmer, like you named it (in the quote
you dropped). Kyösti would definitely count as one. Also anybody who
already did a pre-blob Intel port (and understood what he was doing)
would likely succeed fast.

>> It might not be your intention, but you are spreading a lot of FUD
>> against coreboot.
> It is what I was told by a few people, and what I saw here.
> https://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual#How_to_support_a_new_board
> "This can take from an hour of time to a few months based upon your
> coding skills and hardware issues."

This is not working out, I'll paste the quote you dropped back in... The
wiki says "[...] an hour of time to a few months [...]", you said "[...]
months for an expert [...]". Don't you see the difference? The upper end
is the same, but on the lower end both statements are off by two orders
of magnitude (plus you were explicitly talking about "an expert firmware
programmer"). Your statement is biased. Skipping the part that porting
is not always a multi-month PITA spreads FUD, IMO.

> Maybe you should update that page?

Why? it says about the same as I did. Just I picked one of the most easy
porting targets as an example and the wiki talks generally about core-
boot.

Nico