[coreboot] How to handle vbt.bin

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Sun Apr 15 23:30:08 CEST 2018

On 15.04.2018 17:12, Patrick Rudolph wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-04-15 at 13:43 +0200, Nico Huber wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to see them in 3rd party repo, as we don't process them,
>>> as Matt pointed out.

>>> They are changed from ASCII/text to binary format, so yes it's a source
>>> file.
>>
>> lol. I had that discussion before, and no: hexdumping something doesn't
>> make it source (code).
>>
>> Is this really where you want to draw the line? can I put my ME firmware
>> into the main repo too if I hexdump it?
>>
>> Btw. there is no reason to have SPDs as hex. Should we move them to
>> 3rdparty/blobs too?
>>
> For SPDs: No. As you can't extract them from vendor image, can you ?

Sure I can, in some cases even with cbfstool.

> For VBT: Why not. A user is free to choose to use the blob from blobs
> repo, extract it his own from vendor image, use a VGA option ROM or use
> the fake VBT mechanism.

Yeah, same when we add the VBT to the main repo.

> The benefit of having it in blobs repo is that it increases compability
> and user friendliness. Just tick the Kconfig option, done.

Not true, you'd also have to tick USE_BLOBS (and wonder why it's neces-
sary in case your platform doesn't need real (code) blobs). The benefit
of having it in the main repo is that it increases sanity and user-
friendliness. Just leave the default, done.

> It is independed from a free tool to generate a VBT (which would be
> nice to have).

Ack.

Nico