[coreboot] BIOS/CoreBoot/UBOOT

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Apr 12 17:43:48 CEST 2018

Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> > 3.  Support for Secure Boot - would one approach be simpler than another?
>
> SB was invented by MS for DRM, it serves no real security purpose IMO

I'd like to ask you to reconsider that opinion.

Secure Boot is mandated by Microsoft to provide Microsoft and
Microsoft's customers (OEMs) security, and I think it's pretty
effective.

But Secure Boot is also related to the security of individual computers
and computer users, because it enables Microsoft and OEMs to establish
a controllable, reliable and thus trustable chain of software from reset
to desktop.

Most people who buy computers are happy, because controlling the computer
isn't as important as using the desktop, which I think is fine.

//Peter