[coreboot] BIOS/CoreBoot/UBOOT

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:03:43 CEST 2018

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Raymond Yeung <rksyeung at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I currently have a board that uses Intel Xeon D (previously codenamed
> Broadwell DE).  It boots up with BIOS/UEFI. I 'm exploring other oot-up
> options here.
>

> I'm not familiar with this early stage of system initialization.  It seems
> BIOS/UEFI to Linux needs to use PXE, with the need to configure DHCP (and
> possibly Proxy DHCP), TFTP server PXELINUX, Linux initial RAM disk
> (initrd) configuration file, and then Linux.  Previously, I'd been using
> Coreboot/UBOOT environment (as a user, not developer).  Prerequisite seemed
> much simpler.
>

> A few questions -
>

>    1. Is there even a coreboot support for this CPU already available and
>    stable that I could download and reflash?  Or are we talking about some
>    serious re-development?

Yes - See src/mainboard/intel/camelbackmountain_fsp/ for the reference
platform.

You'll need the Intel FSP blob from
https://github.com/IntelFsp/FSP/tree/Broadwell-DE. You'll also need
microcode which you can download from developer.intel.com.

>    1. Is it possible to go from BIOS/UEFI to UBOOT (on-board)?  How?

I haven't tried uboot as a payload, but yes, it is possible. There are
other options available to consider depending on your use case.

>    1. Support for Secure Boot - would one approach be simpler than
>    another?

It depends on what you want/need. Philipp Deppenwiese is working on "vboot"
(Google's verified boot implementation) integration with upstream:
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/coreboot/+/24993/

More about that approach here:
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/verified-boot

>    1. Am I even on the right track thinking this way?

You seem to be off to a good start :-)