[coreboot] coreboot is going to make kcma-d8 obsolete

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Sat Apr 7 21:23:27 CEST 2018

Thanks for everyone who has submitted status reports and now proved that
they work.

BTW the boards devices support ASPM so you can remove the pcie_aspm=off
in your kernel command line - I like to force it on myself with
pcie_aspm=force.

On 04/06/2018 09:54 PM, David Hendricks wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:
>> Like I have said before these types of policies are eventually going to
>> result in coreboot only having unobtainable development boards in the
>> tree (that are of course not owner controlled)
>>
>> It simply isn't right.
> Indeed, this isn't right (as in correct) so don't spread this FUD. The
> boards are still in the tree, you just need to check out whatever coreboot
> version is known to actually work with the board. For example if a board
> was last reported working in coreboot-4.6, then `git checkout 4.6` or
> checkout a specific hash reported on the board_status repo.
I swear I heard "removed from the tree" somewhere - irregardless only
unobtainable closed-source development boards will benefit from new
coreboot features.

Eventually the old versions of coreboot will become non-functional for
whatever reason so it won't be that simple (ie: don't checkout master)
if one doesn't require the new features - already for example there are
various old libs that coreboot requires which are only available
*unsigned* from a single site.
> It does no good for users to have hundreds of boards in master that fail to
> boot, and no good for developers who need to maintain and refactor code for
> boards that nobody tests and have been abandoned.
I am not complaining because some random boards from 2005 that no one
uses are being removed - this is because the last owner controlled
x86_64 boards will eventually be functionally removed (and would have
been if no one had submitted status for the D8).

This isn't hundreds of boards that fail to boot - it is a few boards
that do boot - and people know that they do (as everyone can see now
that status have been submitted :D)

As an example I don't mind the removal of the H8SCM because AGESA
doesn't support IOMMU and the boards are now quite expensive (and not
worth it for the money).
> There's obviously a few people on this list using the Asus boards mentioned
> which is great. The issue we need to solve is getting more people to submit
> test results so that this isn't a problem in the future.
Even if I didn't use mine for something important I am unable to submit
results because I refuse to provide my "real" name and am too honest to
use a fake name.