[coreboot] how to implement variable read/write variable in coreboot

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Sep 30 19:28:21 CEST 2017

Nico Huber wrote:
> > We already have a simple coreboot-native key-value store: CBFS
>
> Well, I never looked close, but everybody kept telling me for years that
> CBFS is not designed for updates.

But it is!?

Not in-place updates, because CBFS isn't tied to eraseblock sizes,
but a CBFS entry could be overwritten with 0x00, which makes readers
scan for the next entry.

If we haven't already we can declare entries with zero length names
as deleted. Then the length remains, and no scan is neccessary. That
would keep optimal read speed.

//Peter