[coreboot] Opteron 6284 SE or 6386 SE?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Tue Sep 26 09:17:50 CEST 2017

On 09/25/2017 01:21 PM, BogDan Vatra wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I'd like to upgrade my CPUs (I have  2 x Opteron 6276) and I'm now
> sure which one should I choose? Will I see a difference? Does the
> upgrade worth?
>
> Yours,
> BogDan.

6386SE IMO, get the best.

It is worth it although it needs microcode updates for secure operations.
6287SE is the best x86_64 CPU that doesn't, it is slightly slower and
lacks the slightly higher memory speed - with that you will also see
better peformance (see cpubenchmark)
Btw no need to buy a brand new one get a used as CPU life is 20+ years.

You'll end up spending a decent chunk of change on dual 6386SE to the
point where I would advise saving up for TALOS 2 (way better performance
and upgradability) - unless you want x86 6386 to the play latest games
(I do!)