[coreboot] Coreboot on X230 and Dualboot / How to make it work

Matt DeVillier matt.devillier at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 22:59:46 CEST 2017

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> One7two99 via coreboot wrote:
> > add which location should I place my extracted vga blob, so that it
> > can be found during the Coreboot Build process
>
> Paths entered during configuration reference the source root directory.
>

> > What other settings are suggested to get proper vga initialization
> > to be able to boot windows:
>
> VGA init can be proper without Windows being able to boot.
>
> Windows will require SeaBIOS. (In theory perhaps TianoCore+CorebootPkg
> works too, but I wouldn't bet on that.)

coreboot + Tianocore/CorebootPayloadPkg works perfectly well to run Windows
on everything from SandyBridge to Skylake

> Windows will also require the VGA BIOS.

with Tianocore you want to use GOP + VBT for graphics init; vbios can work
but not as well.

> If you have SeaBIOS then I recommend letting SeaBIOS run the VGA BIOS.
>

> > 1) Devices > Add a Video Bios Table (VBT) binary to CBFS (yes or no?)
>
> No - the VGA BIOS creates a VBT. Is that not documented sufficiently?

more precisely, the vbios contains a VBT.  An external/separate VBT is only
needed when using either NGI + Windows, or when using GOP graphics init (on
FSP platforms or w/Tianocore as the payload)

> > 2) Devices > Graphic initialization (currently: use native graphics init)
> > (should I switch this to: Run VGA Option Roms?)
>
> No - disable graphics init in coreboot and let SeaBIOS run your VGA BIOS.
>

> As you can find in SeaBIOS docs, that requires the VGA BIOS to be
> stored with the correct name in CBFS, which coreboot may or may not
> do automatically. (It should, but bugs.)
>
> If you store the VGA BIOS with a name in CBFS containing a special
> subdirectory (I think vgaroms/) then the rest of the filename doesn't
> matter.
>
> You can of course always add the VGA BIOS file to CBFS manually, if you
> want it to have a particular name in CBFS. It is not neccessary that the
> coreboot build system adds it.

probably easiest though to add the VGA BIOS in coreboot, set the correct
PCI ID, and then let SeaBIOS run it (IMO)