[coreboot] Coreboot on X230 and Dualboot / How to make it work

One7two99 one7two99 at protonmail.com
Sat Sep 23 19:33:57 CEST 2017

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
an 23. Sep. 2017, 16:56, Klemens Nanni schrieb:

>> These are 4/8 *mebi*byte in size.

Yes of course ;-) just a typo as I am more used working with GB than MB these days...

>> Web search shows X230 uses UEFI
>> so you'll need UEFITool instead.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

The Coreboot Wiki states that it is also possible to get the VGA blob from Intel itself:

"(...) For Intel onboard graphics you can download the vbios (vga bios) from Intel's download section. The vbios is included with some versions of the graphics driver. The summary will say something like "NOTE:These materials are intended for use by developers.Includes VBIOS". The actual vbios file is the *.dat file included with the graphics driver. (...)"

Unfortunately a Link to the correct download page at Intels Website to get the VGA BIOS is the only missing information.

I've searched for Intel VBIOS and found the following page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26069/Intel-Embedded-Media-and-Graphics-Driver-for-VBIOS-build-3967-v36-2-11-32-bit-Install-Package

"(...) This install package downloads the Intel® Embedded Media and Graphics Driver for VBIOS (build #3967), 32-bit.
This is the graphics driver installation package for the Intel® Atom™ Processor E3800 product family and the Intel® Celeron® Processor N2920/J1900, bundled with user guide and release notes text files.
The 32-bit VBIOS supports legacy boot and could be used at both 32-bit or 64-bit operating system booting. (...)"

As it only mentions the Intel Atom and Celeron CPUs I am unsure if I should try to use the VBIOS for my X230 which has a Core i5 CPU.

Within the Zip-file you can find a file named "Vga.dat" (64k Size) in the folder IEMGD_HEAD_VBIOS\Release which is the VBIOS file according to the Coreboot wiki.

Question: Can I use this file for my X230?

[799]