[coreboot] Berlin Meeting 21. Sep Thursday @afra_berlin

Martin Kepplinger martink at posteo.de
Tue Sep 19 19:10:32 CEST 2017

On 2017-09-18 04:02, Alexander Couzens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the x230 is quite good working,
> ... but recently some boards died (I know from 2 boards over the last
> years). I'm still not sure why they died, but rumors that the EC
> firmware ran into a bug when doing In-Circuit flashing.
>
> I've an x230 myself and never managed to trigger that bug. I would
> recommend you to update the EC to the newest firmware. The EC firmware
> is updated together with the bios, so updating the vendor bios/uefi is
> enough.
>
> We can also desolder your spi chip, programm it and put it back. But
> that's also a way I wouldn't recommend doing to often.
>
> Best,
> lynxis

Oh, finally I hear about this. I triggered this bug. The machine totally
died. Nothing, at least nothing like flashing the original bios or
flashing whatever, could bring it back. It's lying here as a brick. I
*did* flash using flashrom online while running Debian.

I plan to get another X230 one day soon, but will only flash offline,
using my pomona clip :(

Would be good to have the wiki updated and possibly a bug filed I guess...

thanks

                     martin