[coreboot] How is depreciating 95% of coreboot boards worth it for such minor improvements?

Piotr Król piotr.krol at 3mdeb.com
Sun Sep 10 22:42:14 CEST 2017

On 08/24/2017 04:31 AM, Kyösti Mälkki wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com>
> wrote:

Hi Kyösti,

(...)

> Now, this applies to everyone: please push status updates for the
> boards you have access to, otherwise majority of AGESA boards just
> hit that deprecation in the next cycle of board removals. Also,
> when you create a board port and you go through all the trouble of
> getting it past (my strict or someone else's less strict) review
> policy, is it REALLY that hard to run board_status script? You know
> who you are. Is there something we need to do better here? Provide
> OS boot images just for this purpose?
>
> As for binaryPI boards, those are at EARLY_CBMEM_INIT starting from
> August 2.

I'm not sure if it helps, but we can commit to test all PC Engines
platform. 3 weeks ago we obtained all ALIX platforms. Unfortunately
things like ALIX.1C are no longer in production (replaced by ALIX.1E).

Development recovery for platforms not touched for 3 years takes time.
We are confused about various pieces when trying to upload recent
board status:

1. How to handle situation when hardware was replaced by new revision ?
2. Is cbmem required ? (Geode LX do not have support for cpufreq -
cbmem complains)
3. There is seem to be some glitches in the system - not sure if
triggered by us eg. alix.6 bootlog link seems to be broken.

We feel responsible for PC Engines platforms and keeping them in
coreboot tree. Things that I think we can do better is:
1. Adding missing wiki pages for PC Engines platforms.
2. Adding people from 3mdeb as official maintainers of PC Engines
platforms - would that be accepted ?

Best Regards,
- --
Piotr Król